I wasn’t tagged but I saw this over on Cait’s paperfury blog where she took some of the questions from instagram and made others up. I thought it was a really fun tag. (also I have just moved and so hello queued post). Without further ado, 3 bookish things:
3 favourite authors
I really don’t follow authors much so this isn’t a great answer but:
- Megan Whalen Turner for writing the Queen’s Thief series. There’s only one book left but I’m sure I’ll be keeping an eye out for anything else she writes afterwards
- VE Schwab has quite a few books that I want to read but haven’t yet. I absolutely loved A Darker Shade of Magic and I WILL read the sequels at some point and I also really want to read Vicious (and the sequel comes out this year too)
- Shaun David Hutchinson has a lot of books I want to read. I haven’t actually read any of his books so I’m not sure I should really be putting him on a list of favourite authors but there isn’t really anyone else who has so many books that I want to read let alone have read.
3 weirdest things used as a bookmark
My brain? Okay wait, hear me out. I don’t mean literally using my brain as a page holder. But I use to just…. Remember the page number rather than ever actually use bookmarks.
I have however used tube tickets before (back in the old days before oyster cards) simply because I had so many of them lying around that there was always one within reach.
And thirdly, a surface. If I don’t remember the page I’ll just leave a book open and face down on a surface. Maybe a table, maybe my bed… I really never use bookmarks much.
3 Series Binged
The Queen’s Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
I remember buying the first book in paperback and then finishing it the next day and immediately buying the second and third as ebooks to read on my itouch because I was not waiting another week to get my hands on them. I think I read the first 3 books in the span of 4 days. Also, and this is going to be a recurrent theme, I read instead of attempting to sleep when I’m ill and I was ill so I basically read the series instead of sleeping for 4 days.
A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin
I watched the first season of the tv show before I read the book which I think actually really helped me understand who was was (because there are a lot of characters!) but after the first season I bought the first book, and then finished the first book in the middle of the night, and yes I was ill so I bought the second book straight away…. And then the third and forth and the fifth book had just come out too. I started the series because I was too sick to sleep but by the end of the two weeks that it took me to get through all five books I was not sleeping because I needed to keep reading. Whoops.
The Foxhole Court by Nora Sakavic
I had heard good things about this book but for some reason it never really appealed to me but then I saw the first book on kindle sale so I bought it and I got completely hooked. I bought the rest of the trilogy when I was still halfway through the first book because there was no way I wasn’t going to love them too. I read them all in 5 days and then two weeks later I read them AGAIN.
3 characters you love
Eli Monpress from The Spirit Thief (The Legend of Eli Monpress) by Rachel Aaron
Gen from The Thief (The Queen’s Thief) by Megan Whalen Turner
Locke Lamora from The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastards) by Scott lynch
Is it a surprise that all three of these are scheming thieves? No and honestly I could name a bunch more favourite characters and they would all be thieves too
Shout out to Ardor Benn from The Thousand Deaths of Ardor Benn , Kell from A Darker Shade of Magic, Kelsier from The Mistborn series, Jaz from Artemis, and Kaz from Six of Crows.
3 unpopular Bookish opinions
- Give me a book without an m/f romance for the love of god please. A book does not need a romance (subplot or otherwise) to be interesting and there are so many books that would have been so much better if they just didn’t go there.
- I pretty much hate classics. I have nothing against the stories, I actually really love some of the stories if they are in a different format (play, tv show, film…) but I can’t get on with the writing style that they tend to be written in. It’s too distant which means I never end up caring about the characters so I get bored quickly. I much prefer the more emotional and immediate style most books are written in nowadays.
- I don’t get book swag…. What do you DO with it? Okay, I actually can guess but as someone who doesn’t really leave the house (so has no use for bags), doesn’t like anything on the walls (so no prints), doesn’t use bookmarks (because kindle) and who doesn’t like smelly things (so no candles) I would have no use for any of it. Which is quite sad because they are so pretty. I like those enamel pins though….
3 popular Bookish opinions
Okay I’m struggling here and I think its mostly because I just don’t know what’s popular rather than because I am some kind of unique flower….
- I like Harry potter? That’s a popular opinion right?
- I don’t like love triangles – popular? Although I’ve seen other people say they do like them. But I don’t get them. I don’t see why its hard. Pick one. Stick with the choice. This is probably linked very strongly with my aversion to romance though. I hate the drama of it which, I mean, books are about drama so fair. It’s just not for me.
- And third…… I don’t know! I could list more for the unpopular opinions….
3 favourite book covers
Ink and Bone series by Rachel Caine
The Rook by Daniel O’Malley
Steal the Sky series by Megan E O’Keefe
I find this answer amusing because if you ask me I’ll tell you I love book covers that are typographic and stylized. I think its easy for me to love those kind of covers but these are ones I really like that stand out.
3 book goals for the year
- Read 52 books this year, well on track. I’m actually 7 books ahead of schedule but I’m expecting this to slow down. I did manage 66 books last year so it’d be cool to reach 60 again.
- Do not buy anymore books until Christmas in an attempt to control the unread books on my kindle. I’m two months in. Wish me luck.
- Write another book…. I mean that’s a book goal. It didn’t say reading goal…..
What are your popular or unpopular opinions? Do you agree with mine? And what are your bookish goals for the year?